“Companies’ need for digital solutions has led to a notable acceleration of development and deployment of applications.” IDC, September 2018
Nowadays the world of software development is characterized by a wide variety of tools, languages, methodologies and frameworks. In addition, the widespread adoption of “cloud computing” has revolutionized the technological environment that both companies and consumers use. More than ever developers must familiarize with implementation platforms such as public clouds, private clouds, hybrid cloud topologies, containers, microservices, among others.
Digital transformation not only has increased the number and type of tools available to developers and deployment environments; but it has also contributed to increase the complexity of navigating through available ecosystems. This brings us to a highly complex applications development process. However, not everything is lost, the increasing adoption of the DevOps movement and the offer of DevOps “as a service” by technology providers, help to face the challenges of delivering software applications more quickly, of ensuring their quality and mitigating in an appropriate way the risks associated with development until implementation.
DevOps are software development practices that emphasize communication, collaboration and integration between areas of development and information technology (IT) that allows the process automation for both infrastructure changes and delivery of products/services. At Ikusi we designed a comprehensive solution that involves DevOps and Cloud environments and that makes possible the successful transformation of IT areas, mitigating the main challenges that companies face in their different development environments:
When they are implemented correctly, CI/CD processes accelerate software releases and automate the detection and repair of defective software components in order to reduce risks. Thanks to its ability to increase quality, accelerate software releases and promote collaboration, CI/CD processes improve the productivity and agility of the developer, who can thus respond to the current requirements of promptness in the development and deployment.
The following are some of key factors that drive the implementation of CI/CD:
- Developer productivity. By using CI technology, developers can spend more time creating functions and less time solving problems.
- Competitive advantage. The implementation of CI/CD processes gives the opportunity to outperform competitors thanks to faster responses to the changing needs of the market.
- Process Integration to implement security functions in the development life cycle. Correct implementation of CI/CD makes organizations reflect on issues related to security at all stages of the development process, since CI/CD processes evaluate code contributions from many individuals, teams and other parties involved.
- Automation of scalability tests. The combination of scalability tests to the CI/CD protocols allows the performance of continuous scalability tests that record the escalation capacity of an application to address the pressures imposed by the end users.
- IKUSI Latam/CiscoLive 2018: Path to Continuous Integration CI + CD
- How to accelerate the productivity and agility of developers Arnal Dayaratna | September 2018 IDC